Requisition #: JP3290
Title: Power Plant Manager – Coal
Location: Desert Southwest
Reports to: Vice President of Engineering
Industry Focus: Utility / Energy
Number of positions:
Relocation Assistance Available
Responsible for the overall strategy and execution of the long and short range business objectives; manages total plant operations, personnel development, and regulatory compliance for a remote located, multi-unit coal-fired electric generation station. Responsible for the overall financial forecast and budget. Responsible for environmental regulations, including air, water, sold and hazardous wastes. Plays key leadership role in business decision-making, problem solving, leadership development and performance management.
BS degree in Engineering, Business or related field and ten (10) years coal-fired experience. Five (5) in leadership role with proven ability to develop and manage high performing teams or an equivalent combination of education and experience in power operations. Detailed technical knowledge of plant operations and maintenance. Work well under pressure; strong critical thinking and sound decision-making skills; excellent employee development; personal / interpersonal skills. Must be results focused with the ability to set challenging goals that are relevant and measurable. Working knowledge of environmental, OSHA, and labor regulatory/contract requirements relative to operations of a coal electric generation station
- Safety; provide leadership and ownership of a safety program that will achieve the lowest possible AIIR, LWIR, SIR, and comply with all applicable regulatory requirements.
- Environmental; provide leadership and ownership, train employees and manage all activities to assure compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements.
- Plans, evaluates and recommends strategies, programs, policies and processes for Units 4 & 5 that align and support the overall business objectives.
- Level I, II, III performance metrics: responsible for the oversight and leadership of the development and implementation of effective training/procedures to assure optimum generation in concert with system requirements to reduce the probability of major equipment failure.
- Financial Accountability: operate/maintain the facilities at the lowest possible O&M and capital cost; control budgets and cash flow anticipated to assure compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements. Full authority for the development and management of the units’ budget.
- Employee Development: ensures a program is in place to develop/manage an effective affirmative action, training (technical and management) and team building program for all station employees. Selects and develops a high performing team through effective coaching performance feedback, recognition, and training and development opportunities.
- Identifies organizational needs, recommends and implements solution to overcome challenges.
- Outside Interface: maintain excellent community and participant relations.
- Ensures the Environmental Management System (EMS) is established and maintained in accordance with the environmental policy and ISO 14001.
- Designs and develops policies for areas of responsibility and anticipates impact of policies through the peer groups.
- Building Effective Teams – Blends people into teams when needed; creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; lets people finish and be responsible for their work; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- Business Acumen – Understands the company’s business goals and objectives, the business process, and impact of individual actions on business performance. Applies cost-effectiveness, competitiveness and profitability to business decisions and initiatives.
- Customer Focus – Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
- Developing Others – Provides challenging and stretching tasks and assignments; holds frequent development discussions; is aware of each person’s career goals; constructs compelling development plans and executes them; pushes direct reports to accept developmental moves; will take on those who need help and further development; cooperates with the developmental systems in the organization; is a people builder.
- Drive for Results – Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; very bottom-line oriented; steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
- Interpersonal Savvy – Relates well to all kinds of people, up, down, and sideways, inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
- Managerial Courage – Does not hold back anything that needs to be said; provides current, direct, complete, and actionable positive and corrective feedback to others; lets people know where they stand; faces up to people problems on any person or situation quickly and directly; is not afraid to take negative action when necessary.
- Motivating Others – Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team or project members; can assess each person’s hot button and use it to get the best out of him/her; pushes tasks and decisions down; empowers others; invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; makes each individual feel his/her work is important; is someone people like working for and with.
- Problem Solving – Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; probes all fruitful sources for answers; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and does not stop at the first answers.
- Strategic Agility – Sees ahead clearly; can anticipate future consequences and trends accurately; has broad knowledge and perspective; is future oriented; can articulately paint credible pictures and visions of possibilities and likelihoods; can create competitive breakthrough strategies and plans.
Below are some interesting links for you! Enjoy your stay :)